Member Services Department Head Job
Date: Dec 11, 2013
Location: Sterling, VA, US
-Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and supervision of the Member Services department including Front Desk, Account Services and Activity Center desks and adult programming (racquetball, squash, basketball, etc.). All activities directly support member retention.
-Maximize retention by connecting and engaging all members to their area(s) of interest by taking a leadership role in the Daily Huddle, therefore minimizing attrition. Monthly retention plans and management of the Dept of Defense team are additional tools.
-Deliver the highest quality customer service to all members and guests through professional greetings, account maintenance, and extensive knowledge of all Life Time Fitness products and services. Ensure team members proactively meet the needs of members, placing (selling) members into programs and services, accurately answer questions and actively promote all activities and programs by having a complete understanding of the activities by working with peer managers and developing relationships with members, anticipating ways to enhance the Life Time partnership with our members. Operate adult programs successfully meeting financial goals and exceeding member expectations.
-All aspects of this job directly impact revenue, member retention and overall customer service. Upholds the Life Time Fitness Mission and Vision and leads a Healthy Way of Life.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
1. Responsible for Member Engagement of all new and current members, through a leadership role in the Daily Huddle and Department of Defense (DOD).
2. Develop a club Retention plan, partnering with the Member Engagement Manager and General Manager to minimize attrition. The plan will outline tactics to reach the attrition goal and hold team members accountable to tasks.
3. Participate actively in taking membership change requests and saving memberships or converting members to a non-access membership at a high rate.
4. Complete At Risk campaigns upon request.
5. Communicate proactively with members engaging them in all programs and interest groups via in-person, web, individual and email communication.
6. Handle members efficiently at all member service desks, setting an energetic, helpful and friendly tone for the club consistent with the Mission.
7. Responsible for overall member satisfaction. Establish genuine relations with, and connect all members to their interests groups by actively engaging the members in their areas of interest, participating in club activities and extensive knowledge of the club. Responsible in particular for members not being fully connected to the club by a Member Engagement Advisor.
8. Ensure all team members initiate, develop and maintain personalized relationships with members, adding value to the memberships through educated conversations.
9. Ensure all team members provide accurate information on programs, products, and services.
10. Create an environment for robust adult programs, catering to the local club members by ensuring member awareness, connecting like-minded members and developing creative game opportunities.
Sales & Promotion
1. Market, promote, and sell programs and services throughout the club using approved marketing materials, relationship selling and processes to increase participation. Partner with Member Engagement Advisors, Fitness and Kids Activities managers in particular, along with interest group leads to promote programs.
Financial & Budgetary
2. Develop a monthly business plan working with other DHs, especially the Fitness and Activities managers and communicate to General Manager.
3. Responsible for achieving or exceeding monthly and annual department budget and club retention goal.
4. Monitor payroll at all member service desks (Front Desk, Account Services and Activity Center), taking corrective action as necessary to ensure labor costs are within the budget while adjusting staffing due to seasonal needs.
5. Ensure Front Desk and Activity Center cash drawers are properly balanced each day.
Managerial & Supervisory
1. Recruit, interview, hire and oversee training of new Member Service team members (Front Desk Member Service staff, Member Service Specialists at the Activity Center, basketball league coordinator and racquetball/squash coordinator/pro).
2. Established as one of the primary leaders in the club.
3. Continually communicate and train team members on programs and schedules.
4. Oversee Member Services Assistant in scheduling team members (Front Desk, Account Services and Activity Center).
5. Observe and evaluate services provided to members at the Front Desk, Account Services, Activity Center and adult programming.
6. Assess individual performance, provide feedback, and recognition to team members.
7. Facilitate department meetings and trainings for all member services staff, and include the Business Administrator in the meetings.
8. Ensure cleanliness and presentation of the department and programs by conducting daily audits.
Responsibilities of All Positions
- Support and articulate the Life Time Fitness mission statement
- Adhere to company policies and procedures
- Ensure cleanliness of the club using all 6 senses:
-Sight to ensure club is neat and orderly
-Sound to ensure music/sound levels are appropriate
-Touch to ensure floors, countertops, etc are clean and dry
-Taste to ensure food & beverages in the café are up-to-standards
-Smell to ensure the club is fresh and odor free
- Demonstrate positive attitude and actions through a display of courtesy, service, cooperation, hospitality, sensitivity, and professionalism to internal and external customers
Safety responsibilities include:
- Comply with all company safety rules
- Use all required safety devices and personal protection equipment
- Report accidents and injuries to supervisor as soon as possible
- Participate in safety training and safety inspections
- Suggest methods of preventing hazards to safety committee
- Four-year college degree
- 3 to 5 years managerial experience
- 3 to 5 years customer service experience
- 3 to 5 years experience in event coordination and program planning and management
- Significant experience outside Life Time Fitness is strongly preferred
Licenses / Certifications / Registration:
- CPR/AED certification
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Excellent customer service and promotional skills
- Ability to originate innovative ideas
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to collect and analyze data to make accurate decisions
- Ability to effectively build teams
- Ability to foster a team environment
- Ability to multi-task and learn quickly
- Ability to make decisions easily and quickly
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- Ability to work a variety of work schedules
- Ability to operate a personal computer and point of sale software
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
Language Ability- Intermediate- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, clients, and other employees of the organization in English.
Mathematical Skills- Intermediate- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply basic concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability- Intermediate Skills- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; ability to climb ladders. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work is performed in an athletic club environment. The noise level is usually moderate to high.
Primary Location: : VA-Sterling - LDC - Loudoun County
Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
Shift: Day Job
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segments: Payroll, Manager, Fitness, Outside Sales, DoD, Finance, Management, Hospitality, Sales, Government