Aquatics Assistant Department Head Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Rochester Hills, MI, US
The Aquatics Assistant Department Head is responsible for the Aquatics Department and upholding Life Time's Mission and Vision Statements through the Healthy Way of Life Principles. The Assistant Department Head will deliver the highest level of customer service, management, and consistency to both Members and Team Members. The Assistant Aquatics Department Head and Aquatics Team Members will ensure the best department appearance with a focus on safety to achieve the best member experiences. The Aquatics Assistant Department Head is the acting in the absence of the department head.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
1. Ensures Aquatics Team Members provide a safe and friendly environment for the Members.
2. Sets the standard for the Aquatics Department by providing exceptional customer service and meeting the Members' needs and expectations.
3. Responds to Member inquiries regarding Life Time programs, products, services, policies, and procedures in a professional and timely manner.
4. Assists in ensuring the teaching of new skills in a fun, enthusiastic environment. Assists in ensuring that participants learn through a range of high quality programs that appeal to an expanded customer base.
5. Assists in planning, offering, and registering Members for group as well as private swim lessons and programming.
6. Provides a safe, clean, and organized aquatics area for members.
7. Connects members to the correct program that fits their area of passion.
1. Markets and promotes aquatics programs and activities in the club to increase participation.
Sales & Promotional
1. Promotes Life Time swim classes and makes appropriate class level recommendations.
2. Ensures Team Members understand and promote all Life Time aquatics programs.
3. Promotes all Life Time programs, products, and services.
4. Markets and promotes aquatics programs and activities in the club to increase participation.
5. Works to gain a full understanding of all sales and promotional responsibility of an Acting Aquatics Department Head.
Financial & Budgetary
1. Recommends necessary purchasing of department supplies to the Aquatics Department Head.
2. Assists in managing the aquatics department within budgetary guidelines daily.
3. Assists the Aquatics Department Head in processing all swim lesson revenue and refunds daily or as necessary. .
4. Assists in calculating revenue for aquatics programs
5. Understanding of monitoring and interpreting Profit and Loss statements
6. Monitors the budget and financial reports.
7. Works to gain a full understanding of all financial & budgetary responsibility of an Acting Aquatics Department Head.
Managerial & Supervisory
1. Assists in managing and supporting all Aquatics Team Members.
2. Assists the Department Head in ensuring all certifications and LTU classes are current in the department.
3. Completes and documents daily inspections to ensure pool area cleanliness and safety as directed by the Aquatics Department Head. .
4. Balances pool chemicals to meet mandated levels/standards.
5. Submits incident reports in a timely matter.
6. Assists in facilitating lifeguard training on pool safety and rescue techniques during monthly in-services. As well as working to be capable of being primary facilitator of In-service training when needed.
7. Maintains the Systems Binder on a daily basis.
8. Assists the Aquatics Department Head in completing new hire processes, and scheduling in a timely manner.
9. Trains team members through shadowing team members, orientation, direction and feedback.
10. Ensures that all participant and instructor evaluations are completed and documented monthly.
11. Assesses individual performance, provides feedback, and coaches Aquatics Team Members accordingly.
12. Makes hiring, promotion, disciplinary, and termination recommendations to the Aquatics Department Head.
13. Assists in organizing, communicating, promoting, administering, and supervising of all department and swim programming.
14. Assist in facilitating swim lesson in-services monthly or quarterly. As well as working to be capable of being the primary facilitator of swim lesson In-service training when needed.
Responsibilities of All Positions
- Supports and articulates the Life Time mission statement
- Adheres to company policies and procedures
- Ensures cleanliness of the club using all 5 senses:
- Sight to ensure club is neat and orderly
- Sound to ensure music levels are appropriate
- Touch to ensure floors, countertops, etc are clean and dry
- Taste to ensure the food & beverages in the café are up-to-standards
- Smell to ensure the club is fresh and odor free
- Demonstrates positive attitude and actions through a display of courtesy, service, cooperation, hospitality, sensitivity, and professionalism to internal and external customers.
Safety responsibilities include:
- Complies with all company safety rules.
- Uses all required safety devices and personal protection equipment.
- Reports accidents and injuries to supervisor as soon as possible.
- Participates in safety training and safety inspections.
- Suggests methods of preventing hazards to safety committee.
- Some College, or working towards a four year degree.
- One year of customer service experience
- One year coaching and/or swim instructor experience
- One year lifeguarding experience
- One year of supervisory/management experience
Licenses / Certifications / Registrations:
- Red Cross Lifeguard and First Aid - Red Cross CPR-PR/AED- NSPF Certified Pool Operator (CPO) (Preferred)- Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) (Preferred)- Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (LGIT) (Preferred)- Successfully complete and pass the U Swim School Certification- Successfully complete and pass Aquatics Assistant Department Head Training
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Ability to swim and extensive knowledge of swim programs
- Ability to effectively build teams
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of pool pump room operations
- Ability to multi-task, make decisions easily and quickly
- Ability to operate a personal computer
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- Ability to build relationships with members
- Comfortable working with all age groups, including children
- Strong problem solving skills
Intermediate- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, clients, and other employees of the organization in English.
Intermediate- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and geometry.
Advanced Skills- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook. Also must have the ability to learn new computer programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; ability to climb ladders. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work is performed in an athletic club environment. The noise level is usually moderate to high.
Primary Location: : MI-Rochester Hills - ROH - Rochester Hills
Job Level: Team Leader
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Job Segments: Fitness, Manager, Hospitality, Management